Thursday, October 15, 2009

Go Phillies, Go Brad Lidge and just go

I am a Phillies fan, turned also A's and Giants fan, and lately, I'm just back to being a good old Phillies fan. Sorry California teams, but my roots are strong. Watching the Phillies last week really made me nervous - I really wanted them to advance to the NLCS. But what really struck me, was the manager taking a chance on a relief pitcher named Brad Lidge. My Dad's face turned grey when the manager brought out Lidge in the 8th or 9th inning when the Phillies were finally ahead of the Rockies. He said "Here we go. I've seen this too many times - Lidge giving up the game." But Lidge actually saved the game, even though no one but the coach had faith in him. This happened again the next day when it was really important, and the Phillies went on to win that series. How the manager had faith in someone who showed him this season he should not have any faith, with everyone in Philadelphia against Lidge, really amazed me beyond words. I wonder if Lidge even had faith in himself?

Anyway, I found this really inspirational, especially as I have not been running at all and when I have, I am molasses slow. But I think I can bounce back if I keep going, especially with very supportive people around...

No comments: