Monday, January 18, 2010

In the groove

At the end of last week, I seem to have hit my stride again (literally). The hill workout, tempo and then the Saturday long run went very well (always love running in Alameda) - my legs have lost their early training sludge and seem to know what it is they should be doing. I'm blaming the following things for this:

a.) I have a kick ass running buddy who motivates me (Sarah!) and a very supportive fiance (Dan) who puts up with my crazy running schemes.

b.) I have other things going on that make running seem like a stress less joy!

c.) I am eating eating pasta again

d.) I am getting in better shape?

I know I'll have weeks when I'll reread this in disbelief, but for now, I'm just enjoying it.

That leads me to this week. I ran 8 miles in the rain today, down Lake Street, down to Baker Beach, up the hill to Golden Gate Bridge, down to Chrissy Field and back up Presidio. It's a loop I've done on the weekends but always added more by going over the Bridge. This time I did the loop without the bridge and added about another half mile or so when I could. It's very hilly in the middle and at the end but I like the terrain changes. Since it was raining, I had to be extra careful of cars and of slipping - I noticed that people really can't see you even if they are stopped at a stop sign and you've already been crossing. I almost got run over twice. After that I was extra careful.

Anyway, the rest of the week is pretty similar to last week (switch out the tempo for a steady state) except for a 17 miler this weekend. I think we'll hit 40 miles this week!

1 comment:

René said...

It's nice to be back in the groove. The bridge can sometimes get crowded to run on. I guess not so much when it's raining. Have a good week!