Monday, February 22, 2010

Bipolar Legs

After I complained during the beginning of our long run on Saturday, Sarah made the comment that she thought I'd either be faster than my goal, or way over it for the pace part. I think she had a good point. My legs either seem to feel really great, hence surpassing my goals, or really bad, hence not coming too close to them. I'm sure my diet, sleep patterns, work life stress etc play a huge part in that. Maybe I over do it for some workouts and then don't feel up for others? I wish I could figure out the winning combination to always hit those pace targets and have my legs always feel great.

This morning was the upswing in my bipolar legs. Sarah and I decided to switch our medium long run to Tuesday but after I headed out, started running and the sun came out, I decided to run it today instead of the recovery run. This will probably result in tired legs for the rest of the week, but they felt great. It was one of those runs that just feels good - the air and scenery are sweet and I am glad I'm a runner. My pace was great even as I climbed up the hill from Baker Beach to the bridge and the the hill back up Presidio on the way home. Overdoing it? Probably. But I'm just going to pretend that ups and downs are just a sign that I'm getting in better shape. Who knew I could run 18 miles on a Saturday, and feel great on a 10  miler two days later?

This week is over 50 miles with a 35 minute steady state and a 20 mile run on Saturday.

1 comment:

Sarah Woulfin said...

Hm, that could be our new training plan- 18 miles, 10 mi, 10 mi, 18miles, 10 miles............