Thursday, February 11, 2010

Pushing forty (miles)

I've gone back to my running log from the San Francisco Marathon training and I think the most I did per week is 39 miles. We've already had one week where we ran 42 miles, which was a few weeks ago. I think that's what helped me feel great during the Kaiser 1/2: more miles = being in better shape.

This week I ran the first two days after the 1/2. On Monday I ran with Dan for a 50 minute recovery run that was a little faster than I should have done but it felt pretty good. Tuesday I did 6 miles at my target medium pace and felt like I am hitting a stride. Wednesday I was hoping to run but when I was driving home I realized that I am zonked and my legs need a break. So I took yesterday off and headed out early today for an 80 minute easy run. I think all the miles caught up with me because my legs felt fatigued, kind of how I imagined they should have felt Monday. Tomorrow is our steady state run (70 mins with 30 at that faster pace). I am looking forward to it but hope my legs are up for the challenge. Miles wise, I'll probably be at around 39.3 miles after this weekend's run so tomorrow I may sneak in an extra .7. Now that I've discovered that the miles are rounded down to the tenth when I upload my garmin, I'm making sure I can get every bit counted. This is heading into crazy.

It's really nice to be getting into better shape, and I feel like my pace is improving. I still HAVE TO start strength training but I still can't figure out how to fit that into my week.

No comments: