Saturday, June 20, 2009

20 Mile Fun Run

Today's 20 miler included 12 miles of long race pace, 6 1/2 miles of marathon pace, and Sarah's most dramatic fall of the training! I think she was trying to out do my fall two weeks ago, as she skidded and scraped her hands, chin, legs and chest. It was a scary fall. We found a hardware store with a nice worker who let us use the bathroom to nurse wounds. Then we were off to "enjoy" the next 12 miles.

Here's a map of our route (more or less):


View Larger Map

During the last 6 miles when we aimed for marathon pace, I stayed within my pace range for most of the miles. Mile 3 I took a gel and walked for about 30 seconds so that messed up that mile's pace, and then the next one I think I was just tired. The last two were pretty good and reminded me how hard marathons are at the end and you have to just push, push, push and find strength somewhere.

3 comments:

Sarah Woulfin said...

You've got lots of strength so will rock the marathon!

René said...

That's awesome! The great thing about race day is you get the extra strength from others runners and the crowd cheering you.

Jenica said...

thanks for the inspiring thoughts :) I will try and think of them at miles 20+ :)